Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A good walk

I just got back from a really good 50 minute walk with Harris in the pram. Last night when I was driving Harris to sleep around the neighbourhood I discovered a 1km long hill a few streets over from my house and I thought now that would make a great addition to my walking route. So I gave it a go today and it was very good.

I downloaded a few new songs on my ipod too and I am now feeling energetic and much more motivated about the day ahead.

Last week I was being a bit slack and sleeping in the mornings when Harris would go back to sleep after his morning feed - so I wasn't getting up until about 9:30am. As you can imagine this was leaving me feeling hungry and lethargic and because I was so late getting up.

I remembered how skipping breakfast and allowing myself to get that hungry is a recipie for very poor eating habits so I made a point to focus on eating breakfast this week - even if that means I have to prepare it the night before.

The other thing I really need to do is find the right headspace to recognise that at this stage, walking does count as training for me. After 9 months off I can't expect anything else. I tend to associate walking with leisure activity and in my head it is not enough to achieve what I want to achieve. In my mind I need to be exercising at much higher intensities to get back towhere I was before. BUT right now, walking is the only option I have.

3 comments:

LizN said...

In my opinion Andrea, walking counts as training ALL the time. We're so quick to dismiss walking but it's so good for you. It will be beautiful in Canberra for you with all those paths.

Valley Girl said...

Hi there,

sounds like little harris is settling in a bit, and the sling will come in handy so you can get things done.
I agree with the headspace about walking for some reason we (well I do) dont count it as productive exercise, silly isnt it, just moving is one step closer, i just wished it didnt take me this long to realise it.
you sound like you are doing great, I didnt even consider exercise at that stage, which is the reason I am on this journey now...
Jools

Rachael P said...

Hi Andrea, I stumbled onto your blog from I think Valley Girls blog. Funny I didnt realise there were so many ACT on here. I finally moved out of there 8 weeks ago and have since found 2 locals that are blogging aswell.

Congrats on your bundle of joy and well done for getting in and starting your exercise so soon. Canberra has lots of places to offer for a good walk.

Rachael

Blog Widget by LinkWithin