Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Building a Resourceful Mindset

I have started to think of these weeks that I have to myself as 'holidays'. The last time I had holidays or annual leave from work, I smashed my elbow and really couldn't do all that much.

I know that after the little noisy one has arrived there will most likely never be holidays - in the sense of being able to spend quality time at home pottering without too many distractions - ever again.

In all honesty, prior to breaking my arm back in May and then finding out I was pregnant in early June, I was at the best place I had ever been at mentally in terms of my health and fitness. There had been lots of ups and downs along the way, and many many occasions where I 'fell off the horse' (or deliberately got off the horse' and got back on again. It took me that long to work out the motivation side of things and ind the inner drive to achieve a goal. It took me that long to work out that when the books on goal setting say that you have to really really want it - they are right - you do have to really really want it AND you have to be willing to make the sacrifices necessary to get to the point you want to be at. Over time and as you learn about yourself, you tend to develop a more resourceful mindset towards achieving goals. Things get easier and you can really visualise the goal point you have set getting closer and closer to being achieved. As you get closer and closer, things get easier and more enjoyable to do.

HOWEVER!

In the past 9 months I have had one big holiday from my nice strong positive self talk surrounding health and fitness, I have had a holiday from making good nutritional choices and from most forms of exercise - bar the occasional run early in piece. In short - I gave myself permission (or maybe made an excuse) for myself to have a break from it all.

I don't necessarily think that is such a bad thing. BUT

Now I need to start the process again and begin making the thinking patterns in my brain go back to the way they were before. I need to relearn the benefits of being super organised with food preparation and the goals that I want to achieve each day - be they fitness related or not.
I need to relear to look at the number on the scales and see it as feedback and not freak out when it's not doing what I want it to. I need to redevelop that resourceful mindset.

The way I see it - there are a few things I need to do to set myself back on this course:

1. Get out some of my motivational books and start reading - and taking notes if necessary.
2. Not allow myself to become lazy in a sembalance of a daily routine. I realise that baby may not always make this routine easy for me, but, getting up, getting dressed and eating breakfast is not too much to ask.
3. Keep in mind the things I have to do each day - and see them as achievements.
4. Being organised and writing myself lists.
5. Take a step back if I feel as though I am putting too much pressure on myself (which I have a tendancy towards).
6. Practice positive scripts
7. Spend some time each day reflecting on what I have achieved.

There are probably more but they haven't come to me yet.

Today I went to see "The curious tale of Benjamin Button' - interesting but at around the 1 hour20min point when I had to go to the toilet I was seriously contemplating whether or not to go back in. I just wasn't really that into it. I think the promise of another 1 20mins of airconditioning without having to walk around the shops did it for me.

I am annoyed at the fact you have to pay for parking EVERYWHERE here in Canberra - even at the local westfield shops. Sure you get 2 hours for free but when it is 36 degrees outside and you are 8 weeks pregnant - you want more than 2 hours!! Tomorrow I am going to go the the Library but I will wait until the house gets so hot that it is unbearable to stay here any longer. Then I have a letter to write so that should see me through a few hours!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Hi Andrea, something that you could do to help for when bub arrives(if you haven't already done it) is to cook up a few different meals and then freeze them (eg. stir frys with lots of veggies, lasange, pasta bakes etc), then that way when bub comes along and you REALLY don't feel like cooking (and Mark probably won't either) then you can whip a meal out of the freezer that is semi healthy :) Nicole xx

Andrea said...

Hey Nicole,
I'm one step ahead of you! Have been making extra and freezing it for weeks now. I realised when mark's mum died just how invaluable it was to have a stash of ready made meals in the freezer ready to go. My biggest problem now is that i'm runnimg out of freezer space!
I've got some bolognaise bases as well as a chicken based base, along with a few random other things. I think we are going to get Mark's mums chest freezer soon so that will make it even easier!
Andjxx

Blog Widget by LinkWithin